Module 1: What is Sake and How is it Made?
- Describe the characteristics typical of sake.
- List and state the purpose of the main ingredients that are used in sake production.
- List and state the purpose of the main production steps that turn the ingredients into sake.
Module 2: Categories and Grades of Sake
- Name the principal categories and grades of sake.
- State the key characteristics of the principal categories and grades of sake.
Module 3: An Introduction to Tasting Sake
- Taste sake and describe its notable characteristics using language from WSET’s Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Distinguish differences and similarities between different styles of sake.
Module 4: Sake Production
- List and state the purpose of the main production steps used to make sake.
Module 5: Japanese Labelling Terms and Speciality Styles of Sake
- Name the principal categories and grades of sakes and state their key characteristics.
- Name some of the speciality styles of sake and state their key characteristics.
- State the production steps that are legally controlled for the principal and some speciality styles of sake.
- Recognise Japanese labelling terms for some of the principal categories of sake.
Module 6: Storage and Service of sake
- State the correct procedures for the storage and service of sake.
- State the common faults found in sake.
- State the key considerations when making a food and sake pairing.
Module 7: Revision and Resources
- Mock multiple-choice feedback examination which can be attempted as many times as the student likes.