Module 1: Spirits Production
- List and state the purpose of the four key steps used in spirits production.
Module 2: Brandy and Vodka
- State the raw materials used to produce brandy and vodka.
- State the key flavour characteristics of these two spirits.
- Identify the key production processes that can have a defining influence on the characteristics of brandy and vodka.
- State the meaning of the key labelling terms for brandy. Identify the two types of still, state how they are used and the style of spirit they can produce.
- An introduction to tasting spirits using language from the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT).
Module 3: Rum, Tequila, and Whisk(e)y
- State the raw materials used to produce Rum, Tequila, and Whisk(e)y. • State the key flavour characteristics of these three spirits.
- Identify the key production processes that can have a defining influence on the characteristics of Rum, Tequila, and Whisk(e)y.
- State the different styles of Rum and the labelling terms for Tequila and Whisk(e)y.
Module 4: Flavoured Spirits, Storage and Service of Spirits
- Describe the different techniques to add flavour to spirits.
- State the principal types of flavoured spirits.
- Describe the correct procedures for the storage of spirits. Name the important ingredients used to make cocktails.
- Identify the common equipment and glassware used in the service of spirits.
- State the four factors to consider when making a balanced cocktail.
Module 5: Revision and Resources
- Mock multiple-choice feedback examination which can be attempted as many times as the student likes.